Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Bathroom Vanities

We're trying to decide on a new vanity for the master bath. I've always been a purist when it comes to interiors and architecture. I've always felt that the inside should reflect the outside, however lately, I've come to appreciate the mix of old and new, just as long as it can be done in a way that doesn't detract from the one or the other.  The hope is to mix the old with the new and make it seamless.  I have always tended toward modern architecture.  I remember the first books on architecture I checked out at the library when I was younger. I was captivated by the clean lines and empty spaces of modern homes.  I loved the way Mies van der Rohe fused sleek marble with concrete, glass and steel while maintaining a sense of warmth.

I was hoping that our next home would be a modern home.  When we moved back to Utah from Las Vegas, I found the perfect mid-century modern home totally restored to its original splendor.  The only problem, too far to commute to work and too far from family.  Plus, I just couldn't bring myself to move to Ogden.  Also, with having to keep our home in Las Vegas, we were very limited in our price range. So we ended up buying a 1973 take on French Provincial.  If I had to choose an architecture other than modern, it would be French Quarter.  I love the gas lamps and the mix of Victorian with colonial southern plantation. But, I just can't let go of modern, leaving me in a bit of a conundrum.  My plan is to marry modern with French Provincial and hope we come out with something that is both sleek yet historical.  As we renovate our home, I will continue to use this blog as a way to let friends and family follow our attempts at merging the two styles. I have a feeling that we will either fail miserably or create something that maybe hasn't been done, or at least not done exactly the way we will do it.

Help us decide on the vanity.  Here are pictures of the ones we are currently considering:

Andrea's 1st Choice

My first choice.



No comments:

Post a Comment